What You Need to Know About UCR Enforcement

What You Need to Know About UCR Enforcement
Mariah Barr
3 mins read

If you've never filed a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) for your business, it’s important for you to file right away.

Unregistered motor carriers who cross state lines without a UCR could be fined and have their trucks pulled off the road. But who needs a UCR filing? And what if you live in a state that doesn’t participate? Keep reading to find out what you need to know to be compliant.

What is a UCR registration?

UCR stands for Unified Carrier Registration. It is a federally mandated system for registering operators of commercial vehicles who are involved in interstate and international travel.

This annual UCR filing must be renewed by December 31 each year. Registration for the upcoming year begins on October 1.

Protect Your Business- Download Your FREE Driver File Maintenance Guide Today!

Who needs a UCR filing?

Any motor carrier who drives a commercial vehicle carrying cargo over state or international lines needs to file a UCR. Individuals and companies who make arrangements for the shipment of goods, such as brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies are also subject to the UCR fee.

For motor carriers, the cost of the UCR filing fee is dependent on the total number of vehicles in a fleet. Brokers and leasing companies are required to pay the lowest fee to register.

What happens if you don’t get a UCR registration?

If you don’t pay for the UCR, and you or your drivers are caught driving over state lines, enforcement officials could detain your vehicles. Plus, you could be required to pay additional fines and penalties.

Depending on which state you’re from, the fine could be anywhere from $100 to $5000 for first-time offenders.

What if my state doesn’t participate in UCR registration?

Currently, 41 states in the US are participating in the UCR program.

The following states are not participating: Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, Wyoming, and the District of Columbia.

If your state of residence doesn’t participate in the UCR program, that doesn’t mean you’re off the hook. Any motor carrier who travels over state lines is required to purchase a UCR registration. If you live in a state that doesn’t participate, you are required to purchase a UCR filing in the nearest participating state.

File Your UCR Registration on Foley's UCR Portal

Need to file a UCR? Foley can help make the process simple. Click here or call 860-530-6310 and we’ll take care of the registration process for you before UCR enforcement starts in 2024!


Leave a Reply