(860) 633-2660
Skip to content
  • There are no suggestions because the search field is empty.

Check Out Our Latest Product Release

CSA Monitor tracks your driver and risk data in real time.

Learn More

Reach Your Business Goals with Dash

Foley's customizable platform for your unique initiatives.

Learn More

New Resources Waiting for You & Your Team

Expert, always-free resources at your fingertips.

Learn More
How Much Does it Cost to Register a Commercial Motor Vehicle? Part 2.
Mariah Barr
6 mins read

If you need to register a truck, see if your state registration fees are included below. If not, check out part one of our Foley article series! 

We've all registered a passenger vehicle and are familiar with our state's registration fees. But how much would it cost you to register a tractor-trailer or commercial motor vehicle (CMV)?

Is your vehicle a commercial motor vehicle?

Before registering it, you'll need to find out if your vehicle is considered a CMV by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) definitions, which are as follows:

  • Weighs over 10,000 pounds, whether it is loaded or not 
  • Transports hazardous materials (Hazmat) which require a placard 
  • Transports 16+ people, including the driver 
  • Transports 9+ people, including the driver, for compensation 

If registering a CMV is part of your journey toward becoming an owner-operator, this Foley article will tell you what you need to know before you get on the road.

Now that you've deciphered if your vehicle is a CMV, let's review how much it would cost to register it in any of the 25 states below.

Commercial Motor Vehicle Registration Fees by State

Each state bases its registration fees on one or more of the following factors

  • Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) – The maximum loaded weight of a semi-tractor and trailer combined.
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) – The maximum loaded weight of any given vehicle (tractor or trailer), provided by the equipment manufacturer. 
  • Unladen weight – The weight of an empty tractor and/or trailer. 
  • Model year 
  • Where you operate

Here are the fee ranges you can expect to see each time you register a truck in the following 25 states.


US State (M-Z)



Registration Fee Factor



Annual Fee 






GCWR, model year



$555 to $1,125 for tractors less than 5 years old









$535 to $825






GCWR, model year



$1,400 to $3,860



New Hampshire






$480 to $800



New Jersey






$758 to $1,268



New Mexico









New York









North Carolina






$1129 to $1,804



North Dakota



GCWR, model year



$406 to $1,059









$690 to $1,370









$450 to $961









$625 to $998









$1,186 to $2,417



Rhode Island






$660 to $1,159



South Carolina






$495 to $907



South Dakota






$765 to $1,457









$922 to $1,333









$535 to $840









$412 to $697









$1,380 to $2,337









$611 to $1,348









$735 to $1,830



West Virginia






$419 to $1,131









$1,081 to $2,578






GCWR for state fee, value, and model year for county fee



$523 to $908, plus county fee


What other permits and registrations do you need to operate legally? 

Legally registering your CMV is one of the first steps toward becoming a successful and compliant motor carrier. You should also find out if you need any or all of the following:

  • USDOT number – You'll need a DOT number if you plan to drive passengers, transport hazardous materials, or deliver interstate freight. Click here to find out if you need a USDOT number. 
  • MC number  This “authority to operate” number is required for transporting regulated goods. Click here to find out if you need an MC number. 
  • Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) – You need to file a UCR every year if you’re a motor carrier and you travel across state or international lines. Brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies must also file a UCR annually. Click here to file your UCR. 
  • Blanket Legal Entity (BOC-3) – This is an official list of companies or individuals you’ve given permission to receive legal documents on your behalf. The BOC-3 is the form the FMCSA requires you to file to provide proof that you have a process agent in each state you operate. Click here to file your BOC-3. 

Get an All-in-One Compliance Solution from Foley

No matter if you're building a business as an owner-operator or you're registering additional CMVs for your growing company, Foley can help you with your DOT compliance requirements.

We can ensure you have all the above permits and registrations to get started, then continue to support you through ongoing DOT compliance management. You'll be better prepared for your next compliance audit.

The first step toward simplified DOT compliance is a FREE demo with a Foley compliance expert. Click here to schedule yours now or fill out the form below to see how easy it is to get ahead of the DOT. 

Fill out this form and a member of our team will reach out shorty.

Schedule a demo to see Dash in action.
A Foley expert is ready to help your company create a streamlined hiring, screening, and onboarding process that's easier for your candidate and team, while keeping you compliant with DOT and FMCSA requirements. Fill out this form, and we'll schedule a time for a personalized online demo of Dash.

Whether you’re looking for a quick background check, or a comprehensive DOT compliance solution, Foley can help.