Hazardous Materials Registration
The 2023-2024 hazmat registration season is now open!
The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) requires hazardous material transporters to register and pay a fee each year in return for a certificate of operations.
You may lose your operating authority if you fail to register by July 1, 2023. If you cannot produce a current Hazardous Materials Certificate of Registration during a roadside inspection, you may be fined up to $37,500 per day.
How to File Your Annual Hazmat Registration
Foley can help you complete your hazmat registration now. Multi-year registrations are also available to give you peace of mind regarding your hazmat compliance.
Who Needs to Register?
You must file a hazmat registration if you transport any of the following categories of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) in commerce:
- Any quantity of hazardous material that requires placarding.
- A highway route-controlled quantity of a Class 7 radioactive material.
- Over 55 pounds of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 explosive material in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container.
- Over one liter per package of a "material poisonous by inhalation" that meets the criteria for "hazard zone A."
- Any quantity of hazardous material in bulk packaging that equals or is greater than 3,500 gallons of liquids or gases, or over 468 cubic feet of solids.
- Any shipment of hazardous material in other than bulk packaging of 5,000 pounds gross weight or in a class that requires placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container.