ELD Exemptions Explained: Understanding the 100/150 Air Mile Exemption

Christa Krajewski

JULY 18, 2017 – As the deadline for the Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate approaches, there is still a considerable amount of confusion surrounding who exactly will be exempt from installing the devices into their Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMVs). We’ve covered many of these exemptions in the past, but there’s still a big one that deserves some attention: the 100/150 air mile exemptions. If you meet the criteria for either of these exemptions, you aren’t required to follow federal hours of service regulations – and therefore won’t be required to have an ELD.

Download Your FREE Guide on Driver File Creation Today

Demystifying the 100/150 Air Mile Exemptions

If you are a short-haul, interstate carrier that operates within either 100 or 150 air miles of your work location, you may be exempt from the ELD mandate. To qualify, you must meet all of the following criteria.

If you are a CDL driver, you:

  • Must operate solely within a 100 air-mile radius*
  • Must be completely off-duty within 12 hours
  • Must report back to the same work location every day
  • Must have at least 10 consecutive hours off-duty between each shift.

If you are a non-CDL driver, you:

  • Must operate solely within a 150 air-mile radius*
  • Must not drive through any state that requires a CDL for the type of vehicle being operated
  • Must report back to the same work location every day
  • Must not drive after the 14th hour of coming on duty 5 days in a period of 7 consecutive days
  • Must not drive after the 16th hour of coming on duty 2 days in a period of 7 consecutive days

Drivers are currently required to fill out a paper log if any one of the criteria listed above is not met. For example: a CDL driver gets a job that will bring in a lot of cash, but he has to travel 300 air miles to deliver the load. He is required to maintain a paper log for the duration of the trip.

Still Need an ELD? We've Got You Covered!

Other ELD Exemptions

If the 100/150 air mile exemptions don’t apply to you, there are currently three other major ELD exemptions, as determined by the FMCSA. They include:

  1. Drivers who keep logs for no more than 8 days during a 30-day period. Many drivers infrequently travel over the 100/150 air mile radius. Take the example given above of the CDL driver who goes over 100 air miles one time. Even though he has to keep a paper log for that trip, he does not have to purchase an ELD provided that the situation rarely occurs…specifically, no more than 8 days in any 30-day period.
  2. Driveaway-towaway operators who meet one of two specific criteria: either  the vehicle being driven is the commodity being delivered OR the driver is transporting a motor home or recreational vehicle trailer with one or more sets of wheels are on the roadway.
  3. Drivers of vehicles with a model year  (or engine year) of 1999 or earlier. These vehicles are exempt simply because some do not have the ports required to connect an ELD. There has been some confusion about model vs. manufacture year, but the FMCSA has been clear: it’s the model year of the vehicle or it’s engine that they’ll use to determine compliance. So if you have a 2005 truck with a 1999 engine installed (for example), you wouldn’t need an ELD.

Hopefully, this has helped answered some common questions regarding ELDs. Please be sure to let us know by leaving any comments or questions below!

Get Your FREE Driver File Guide Book Today!

396 thoughts on “ELD Exemptions Explained: Understanding the 100/150 Air Mile Exemption”

  1. if i drive under 150miles to a log then 150miles back to where i would park my 26ft box truck everyday, am i required to have an ELD?

    1. Hi Brian, If you’re a non-CDL driver, you can travel within 150 air miles without needing an ELD provided that you meet the conditions of the exemption above.

  2. I am with end the 150 air mile radius I am hauling ddg to a feed mill to feed pigs do I need a eld? Do I need to use a time sheet r a log sheet?

    1. Hi Phil, If you’re a CDL driver, then you’d need an ELD. Non-CDL drivers can keep a time sheet if they meet the 150 air mile exemption, which is outlined above.

  3. Hello I’m a OTR driver that drive from Ms to Ca.. My Q. is am i aloud to use agriculture exemptions to pick up my stops at coolers that is given to me by the company in a 150 air miles then go back using regular HOS after I’m outside the 150 mile zone?

    1. Hi Timothy, As long as you meet the requirements for the agricultural exemptions, then you can operate within 150 air miles without needing to keep logs..you’d just need to make sure you were following your regular hours of service rules when you exited that radius.

      Here’s more information on the exemptions if you need more clarification on who qualifies: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/eld-hours-service-hos-and-agriculture-exemptions

  4. Hello – we have local CDL drivers only in the Chicago area, they stay within a 50-75 mile radius of our start/stop location. Occasionally they go over 12 hours for the day. Is a paper log required to be filled out when they go over 12 hours?

  5. Hey Lindsey,

    So my driver broke down roughly 425 miles from our terminal and is being towed back to our nearest terminal and he is empty, he would be “exempt” for having to log in his ELD correct? He is not driving the truck and truck is broke down?

  6. Hi Lindsey,

    My CDL drivers never drive pass the 100 Mile Air Radius but they drive back and forth from our base to the ports and could potentially drive over 100 miles in a day because they constantly go back and forth. Are we required to have ELD?

  7. Hi Lindsey,
    My personal truck is a one ton F350 dually with a flat bed we need to register commercial with a DOT number per Massachusetts rules as its GVW is 14,000 lbs .. when I got my DOT number they asked if I ever leave the state with the truck. 90% of the trucks use is my personal transportation and used for towing our family camper , but maybe twice a year i may haul my 24ft enclosed trailer out of state to pick up a motorcycle that we bought for our restoration shop to restore . so I registered as Interstate. I never charge for transport I only use my truck to move items I buy and own. Now when i leave the state when i am towing my trailer do I need an ELD or can I use a paper log ? and do I need to have a log if the items I am hauling are items I own or bought ? also if I do need to have a log do I only need to document the days I traveled out of the 150 mile radius ? and if I got stopped by DOT I heard they ask for 8 days of log info I do I explain and prove most of my driving is with in the 150 mile excluded area etc. and I would not have logs of those days . very confusing and i get different answers from different people . I just want to make sure if stopped I have everything required . thanks

  8. Hello Lindsey I’m a delivery driver for a distribution company in Georgia Norcross so I drive from Norcross Georgia to milledgeville Georgia will I need a eld truck weighs about 26,000 lb

  9. If I am in agriculture and drive less than 100 miles with the CDL do I need to have an e log? And I also leave the same place every day only drive about six hours a day

  10. Hi I haul containers from in Chicago locally and I also travel 150 miles into Indiana then back too Chicago twice a week do I need an eld or can I continue too use a paper logs I drive a 2006 Frieghtliner Columbia

  11. Ok. I am a heavy equipment mechanic with a construction company based in the twin cities MN. We work the upper Midwest states. On Monday morning after my 34 hr reset, I leave for ND. I paper log out to the jobsite/work area where I get a hotel. The hotel & job site are within the 100 air miles. I stay out there all week on Saturday drive back to home. QUESTION: can I continue using the short haul exemption because I reestablished a new home base within the 100 air mile rule?

  12. Hi Lindsey,
    I hope you can answer this I haven’t found a clear answer yet. Can a Cdl driver do one long run let’s say around 300 miles, 6 hour total trip and then use the exemption for shorter runs under 100 miles for the next 6 hours?

  13. Hi Lindsey, We currently employee 356 DOT drivers, non-CDL. From my understanding each driver can go over the 150 air mile rule 8x within a 30 day period without having to log in with an ELD? Or is it 8x in a 30 day period per working location. The rule follows the driver not the company, is that correct?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *